Thai Red Chicken Curry
Moist, juicy chicken thighs simmer in Thai red curry with coconut milk and basil.
This recipe is featured on our Summer of Clean Eating channel.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, quartered and finely sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered, seeded and cut into thin slices
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk, well shaken
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can bamboo shoots, rinsed and drained well (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped Thai basil leaves, plus more for garnishing
- Steamed rice, for serving
1In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the oil and warm until hot. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring, until it softens, about 5 minutes. Add the curry paste and stir until it coats the onion and garlic, about 30 seconds.
2Pour in the coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce, lime juice, and brown sugar and stir to combine. Add the chicken and bamboo shoots. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
3Taste and season with salt. Stir in the basil and serve over rice, garnishing with additional basil if you like.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved