Fresh shrimp are briefly poached, then halved and allowed to cure in lime and lemon juice. To finish, they’re tossed with onion, serrano chile, cilantro, cucumber, and avocado. This recipe makes for an excellent party appetizer, paired with cocktails such as our easy martini recipe.
- 1 pound medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 4 to 6 limes)
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 to 3 limes)
- 1 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 serrano chile, stemmed, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 English cucumber, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the shrimp and cook until firm and opaque, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and run the shrimp under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
2Cut the shrimp in half lengthwise and place in a medium nonreactive (glass, ceramic, or stainless steel) bowl. Add the lime and lemon juices, cover the bowl, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3Add the onion and serrano chile to the bowl, cover, and refrigerate for an additional 30 minutes.
4Just before serving, stir in the cilantro, cucumber, and avocado.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved