Mock Potato Salad
Kohlrabi may look like an extraterrestrial, but it tastes like an amalgamation of familiar vegetables: broccoli, celery, and potato. By tossing it with ingredients akin to a classic American potato salad, the relatively unknown veggie becomes approachable and outright delicious. Of course, you can always just use spuds here for a picnic-worthy potato salad.
This recipe was featured as part of our Picnic Recipes and Tailgating Recipes photo galleries.
- 3 pounds kohlrabi, peeled and cut into large dice (about 8 medium kohlrabies)
- 2 medium celery stalks, small dice (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 medium red onion, small dice (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
1Place kohlrabi in a medium pot of heavily salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until kohlrabi is tender with a few pieces breaking off slightly at the edges, about 15 minutes.
2Meanwhile, stir together remaining ingredients in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and refrigerate until kohlrabi is finished cooking.
3When kohlrabi is ready, drain well and add to mayonnaise mixture. Stir until kohlrabi is well coated; taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours, before serving.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved