Homemade guacamole involves nothing more than mashing together a handful of ingredients, and the flavor is far superior to the shelf-stable glop in the supermarket. Serve your fresh guac with some chips and salsa, and you’ve got yourself an instant party. It’s also a delicious accompaniment to quesadillas or fajitas.
What to buy: Look for avocados that give slightly when pressed but are not completely soft. We used Hass avocados.
This guacamole recipe was featured as part of both our Super Bowl for a Crowd menu and our Supercharge with Superfoods photo gallery.
- 9 large avocados (about 3 pounds)
- 1 medium Roma tomato (about 1/4 pound), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- 1 to 2 medium serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
1Halve the avocados, remove the pits, and scoop the flesh into a large mixing bowl. Mash with the back of a large fork or a potato masher to make a chunky paste.
2Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Taste, adjust the seasoning as needed, and serve immediately.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved