Black-Eyed Pea Vegan Burgers
Adapted from “Cranks Fast Food” by Nadine Abensur
A veggie burger shouldn’t taste like a science experiment gone wrong. Mushrooms and black-eyed peas give these vegan burgers the right moisture and density, plus bold natural flavors. Top your burger with ketchup, vegan mayonnaise, caramelized onions, sliced tomatoes, or dill pickles.
What to buy: Tamari is wheat-free soy sauce; it can be found in gourmet groceries and Asian markets. If you have a hard time finding it, you can use slightly saltier soy sauce instead.
This recipe was featured as part of our vegan comfort food recipe slideshow.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 medium cremini mushrooms (about 4 ounces), cleaned, stemmed, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium scallion, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- 1/2 teaspoon tamari, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce, plus more as needed
- 4 toasted vegan ciabatta or burger rolls, for serving
1Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the shallot and garlic and cook until fragrant and softened, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mushroom mixture to a small bowl and wipe the pan clean with paper towels; set aside.
2Place the peas in a large bowl and mash with the back of a spoon or a potato masher, leaving a few of the peas intact. Add the mushroom mixture, scallion, cilantro, tamari, and Tabasco and mix until combined. Taste and season with more salt, pepper, tamari, and Tabasco as needed. Using your hands, form the mixture into 4 (3-inch-wide) patties (about 1/3 cup each).
3Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the reserved frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the patties and fry until the outsides are browned, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Serve on toasted ciabatta or burger rolls with your favorite toppings.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved