I will be in SF for 9 nights in few weeks. I'll spend two nights for conference party and one night with my friend, but I'll probably dine solo for other nights. As a serious food lover, I want to try many foods which I cannot have in Japan.
My particular interests are American cuisine (steaks, Californian, any other regional foods, soul foods, etc) and Mexican/Central/South American cuisine.
On my last visit to SF, I tried Chez Panisse and Range, and both were very good. I'll definitely try Californian cuisine restaurants with good reputation.
My questions are:
* Which mexican restaurants are the best in the town? (sorry for not specific, I don't have much knowledge in this area).
* Is the any casual and traditional/soulfood/regional American restaurant/diner/joint you can recommend?
* Which steakhouse is good to dine solo?
* Can I reserve a bar seat of restaurants?
* Is there any quiet bar which serves good cocktails or Californian wines?
I don't drive, so walkable/safe neighborhood is preferable. I'll stay at a hotel near Union Square.
Thank you so much for your help in advance.