This January 2016 trip report is a follow up to all the wonderful feedback I got on this inquiry thread: http://www.chowhound.com/post/seeking...
Hello from Brooklyn! Thanks for everyone’s patience while I pieced together the trip report that follows. I hope it’s not too long, that current Chowhounders find it insightful and future explorers find it helpful!
Casey and I had an epic 5 nights in San Francisco - we explored countless neighborhoods, took hundreds of pictures, walked up hills, did some touristy things, walked down hills, made new friends, imagined living in The Bay Area, and made a valiant effort to tackle the overloaded food itinerary we had put together. We didn’t eat enough, we ate WAY TOO MUCH, we went with the flow and certainly made the most of our vacation.
*TL;DR VERSION* - Day-by-day summaries in the comments below (needed more space for pictures) but here are the superlative highlights:
- Favorite Restaurant: Liholiho Yacht Club
- Favorite Bar: Trick Dog
- Favorite Bakery: Bob’s Donut & Pastry Shop
- Favorite Coffee Shop: The Mill
- Best Individual Dish: Manila Clams in Coconut Curry at Liholiho Yacht Club
- Best Experiences: The Progress and Ferry Plaza Farmers Market
- Biggest Disappointments: Delfina and Boudin Bakery
- Favorite Neighborhood: The Mission and Nopa
- Best Deal: Taqueria El Farolito
- Biggest Misses: Yank Sing and Swan Oyster Depot
- Favorite Activity: Laughing at snapchats of our friends digging out of 3 feet of snow all over the East Coast