This is not a comment on the quality of any of these restaurants. Some on my list I personally find to be excellent and others I believe are terrible. The point here is to list restaurants where the quality falls well below the hype. The hype could come from a number of sources including hyped up on Chowhound, by newspapers, by word of mouth etc....
1) Babbo -- The end all be all of Italian food in NYC (maybe America) falls short. Battali may be a wiz with noodles but he needs more to justify the several month wait for a good reservation.
2) Carnegie Deli/Stage Deli -- this one is more for tourists but as any local knows, just go to Katzs
3) Juniors -- maybe a Brooklyn place but they have a Manhattan location and their cheesecake is nothing special. come to new york and get a pastrami at katz's and a cheesecake at juniors is what I was told (by a carver at Katz's) but I couldn't disagree more. No graham cracker crust?!? Get that cheesecake away from me.
4) Clinton Street Baking Company -- Good pancakes, not nearly good enough to be considered the clear favorite in the city on chowhound.
5) NYC Hot Dogs (dirty water dogs) -- I think everyone on this board would agree with this. Somehow people outside of the city tend to think of New York as a great destination for a hot dog. The ubiquitous hot dog vendors throughout the city stand as a testament to that belief. Having lived in DC for years where hot dog vendors are also common (and excellent), i can't for the life of me figure out why people love the dogs in nyc. if tourists started getting chicken over rice, then they'd be on to something.
Places that almost made my list but in the end live up to the hype: Doughnut Plant, Shake Shack, Momofuku Ko
Honorable mention to the single most overrated dish: Uni Panini
What would be in your top 5 most overrated places?
by Jen Wheeler | At Christmas time, there are cookies galore, but true dessert lovers still crave something more substantial...