I'm in Manila and I was going to make yeast-raised waffles, so I placed half a liter of buffalo milk in the microwave. It was pasteurized and homogenized, but a week old and teetering on the edge. The grassy flavor was coming through loud and clear, with just a hint of sourness.
It went into the microwave for 2 minutes on high. When I took it out, it had turned into one big curd! What the heck is it now? Yoghurt? Cheese? Rat poison?
There's this whey-like liquid forming around the curd. I have some cheesecloth. The temperature of the curd is around 97F right now, about 10 minutes out of the microwave. It looks and feels like soft tofu. What do I do with this surprise?
by Maryse Chevriere | Food is a major part of my life. I’m more on top of dining and restaurant news than world news. My...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.