What are your go to dishes in town - no matter the complexity or price, simple or elegant ?? I've re-posted and considerably added to my rec's in response to Amysue's recent thread. kindly provide your favorites; here are some of my reasons for cash shortages:
* beef tartare, sweetbreads, and foie gras - Wink. when they rotate in the foie gras BLT, run don't walk.
* grilled fish sandwich - no contest, Bartlett's. usually drum.
* glazed donut or holes - donut crown, pillowy soft! north of anderson on Burnet.
* best hot day lunch = bockwurst, fries (maybe best in town), ephemere apple wheat beer on tap - Bangers
* Tomato basil pie and the braised chicken thighs on the buffet brunch line at Jack Allen's, sundays.
* The fresh flown in 19.99 lobsters (about 1.5 lbs) steamed served with melted butter - Quality Seafood, saturdays only. Best lobster value in Austin by far.
* The prime rib french dip au jus combo with brussels on the side coated in a citrus / maple / anchovy sauce. great bread. - Bartletts.
* An Omnivore pizza at Via 313 while you wait with an Iron Whip + 1 straight + 1 vanilla vodka shot cocktail or 50 at Violet Crown
* the beef tongue and popovers - foreign and domestic
* the #1 pork broth (tonkatsu) ramen with pork belly and a soft boiled egg and mushrooms, and a side of dumplings and spicy edamame at Ramen Tatsu-Ya
* hama chili (yellowtail), yokai berry (salmon), duck, pork belly, fried milk, tobacco cream, and everything else at Uchiko.
* the pastor and the goat barbacoa on homemade corn tortillas at La Fruta Felix
* the mushroom and leek tart (great crust) along with salad of mustard vinaigrette, or the mussels / frites - hopfields.
* the pastrami and swiss on rye, or the ham and cheese on sourdough. take it somewhere else and picnic lunch? - melvin's
* halibut cheek - barley swine
* the three course prix fixe at lenoir - my faves thus far = heirloom tomato + watermelon salad and the crispy goat terrine (great dish). sit out back and drink wine in that cute little back yard area. the cobia was forgettable.
* the med. rare cold beef and cheddar on soft rye with horseradish sauce with a side of about 6 deviled eggs (with notes of curry and cayenne, best version ever). Little deli
* yellowtail and salmon sashimi for value and consistency - DK market, north lamar.
* carne guisada + cheddar taco - Mi Madres. This may be the best version in town. A deep dark brown and well spiced sauce, melty chuck roast chunks
* salsa sampler, guacamole, and tortas ahogada at La Condessa
* guajillo fajitas - Polvo's
* the Puerco con Cascabel at Sazon - damn their salsa and service though.
* Pozole rojo - Los Pinos
* fried eggplant pizza and a side of pear gorgonzola salad - Home Slice
* $42 smoked grilled medium rare elk backstrap and gulf crab - Hudson's on the Bend
* Hippie salad and a prime burger + cheddar and bacon jam, in the back garden for lunch, Trio.
* pork rib BBQ - tied for Brown's on S. Lamar (5 min.) and Franklin's (120 min)
* egg salad tartine (buttered) - blue dahlia
* burnt fatty brisket ends - Franklin
* collard greens and catfish - East 12th Kafe
* Ma Po Tofu - slight edge to Szechuan House, A+A Sichuan Garden, Asia Cafe.
* Iced Black Tea - my go to thirst quencher is at Bill Miller's
* chicken fried anything, fried okra, meatloaf - Dahlia Cafe in Liberty Hill
* Fried egg + biscuit / gravy breakfast, orange / ruby yolk winner - Monument Cafe
* Chocolate (mouse) monument pie, walnut-ey crust, whipping cream - Monument Cafe
* smoked chicken thighs and simmered, zippy cabbage - Brown's BBQ
* jumbo shrimp cocktail and bourbon bread pudding, sunday buffet line - Green Pastures.
* stuffed croissants (ham or turkey / cheese) - Quack's, sold out by mid morning
* pambazo mexican street food sandwich - Don Mario's, hudson bend rd.
* lobster roll and fries - Clark's.
* blue crab lump crab cakes - my house. no restaurant makes them better here, unfortunately. crab, white bread, egg yolk, slight onion, mayo, maille mustard, old bay. heavy fry pan. atop lightly dressed arugula with lemon / olive oil.
Updated 1 year ago | 3
Updated 2 years ago | 0
Updated 27 days ago | 13
Updated 24 days ago | 49
Updated 26 days ago | 15