Just got back from my first rijstafel dinner at Quince (forgive the multiple spellings, I'm not sure what the correct spelling is, but my Dutch sister-in-law gave me the first spelling, Quince uses the 2nd, and I've seen the 3rd online).
Thanks to this thread for giving me the heads up about the event: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/814350
For $55, you get a ridiculous amount of delicious food. There were no duds in the dinner. The weakest dish was the pork belly, as it was overcooked. Here's tonight's menu (and yes, you get EVERYTHING on this menu).
Mains (came in 3 waves):
- Nasi goreng and steamed rice
- Rempeh - spiced meat balls with coconut and ketjap coconut sauce
- Sate ajam - grilled chicken kebabs
- Sambal daging - braised pork stew with tamarind
- Udang rendang - spicy coconut shrimp with lime leaf
- Sambal goreng telor - eggs in spiced tomato sauce
- Ikan rica rica - fried fish in spicy sauce
- Gado gado - vegetable salad
- Rendang pedang - dark spiced braised beef with coconut
- Babi pangang - roasted pork belly, sweet sour sauce
- Ajam pedis - roasted chicken with chili, garlic, lemongrass, tamarind and kemerie nuts
- Sambal goreng boontjis - spiced fried green beans
- Atjar tjampour - sweet sour vegetables
- Seroundeng - fried coconut & peanuts
- Sambal goreng ketang kering - spiced deep fried potato match sticks
- Roedjak mani - spiced sweet fruit chutney
<unlisted> - dried garlic chips
- Kroepoek udang - shrimp chips
- Speculaas cake filled with almond paste
They plan on doing this 3 or 4 more times this year. I will definitely be attending another one, as I loved the food and thought it was tremendous valuec. Sign up for their email list, or follow them on twitter for the announcements.