Izayoi was perfect for a casual Saturday night out with M. Little Tokyo is so darn close to us in Silver Lake, we really have no excuse for not exploring it's eateries more. I had remembered reading about it in the Eating LA blog a while ago and thought = beer + small plates? Sign me up! Enjoy a pictorial journey of our dinner. Oh and it was great! We'll be back. ($49 + tip, big bottle of Asahi and six dishes) Pictures from our dinner at: angelenoeatz.blogspot.com
1. Miso Soup: wonderfully soothing
2. Garlic Butter Flavored Grilled Mussels: the chefs cut them in half so very easy to eat, beautifully prepared and super garlicky.
3. Shrimp and Scallop Macaroni Gratin: Unbelievably rich, not that that's a problem, in moderation of course. Creamy, rich with chunks of scallop and shrimp...I'm so glad it was a fairly small portion because this dish takes comfort food to a whole new level and I easily could have eaten a huge serving.
4. Smashed Edamame on top of Homemade Tofu: Did not remotely appeal to me but M wanted to try it so...He reported that it was soft, cool, and cleansing.
5. Black Cod Marinated in Sake and Miso: How beautiful is that? Wonderful too, buttery, delicate, and simple.
6. Minced Sardine wrapped with Shiso and Deep Fried: The most adventurous plate we ordered (we're wusses, I know) and I think the consensus was that this was so-so, kind of bland. A tempura batter, citrusy, herby, almost like chopped liver inside.
(Rating system borrowed from S. Irene Virbila, LA Times)
Updated 1 day ago | 40
Updated 27 days ago | 13
Updated 24 days ago | 13
Updated 10 days ago | 76
Updated 15 days ago | 25