Five examples of San Francisco Bay Area independent food purveyors that are thriving during the pandemic:
• The flour miller, Capay Mills https://www.instagram.com/capay_mills/ direct-to-consumer and farmers market vendor
• The fish purveyor, H & H Fresh Fish Company https://www.instagram.com/hhfreshfishco/ community supported fishery and farmers market vendor
• The small, family-owned farmer, Lonely Mountain Farm https://www.instagram.com/lonelymount... farmers market vendor and supplier to grocery delivery services, Good Eggs, and wholesalers
• The strawberry farmer, Swanton Berry Farm https://www.instagram.com/swantonberr... farmstand, farmers market vendor and grocery store supplier
• The CSA farmer, Eatwell Farm https://www.instagram.com/eatwellfarm/ community supported agriculture and Ferry Plaza farmers market vendor
What they seem to have in common were diversified sales channels allowing the remaining customer base to take up the slack when restaurant sales crashed or in the case of Swanton, loss of u-pick direct sales. Each of them have close relationships with consumers through social media to broadcast their sales messages and to recognize how to pivot to meet consumers changing needs. More than one mentioned having expansion plans already in mind that got accelerated during the crisis enabling a quick response. They embraced technology platforms for supporting new sales channels.
Much respect for the resilience demonstrated by our local food system!
by Jen Wheeler | It's fall, which means its time to pay tribute to that iconic mascot of the season. As a food, as...
by Pamela Vachon | These healthy fall salad recipes will keep you eating well all autumn, and cast your favorite fall...
by Jen Wheeler | Never underestimate the power of a one pot meal (or one pan, as the case may be). This easy sheet...