I just wanted to share this muffin recipe with you all. I have found it to be a great base for anything you would like to put in them, so far I have tried bumbleberry, apple spice, peach ginger, cherry/lemon/coconut, blueberry lemon, huckleberry, peach/pecan. The thing I really like about these is that I can fill the muffin tins almost to the top and they puff up quite nicely. They are dense and moist and hearty.
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour (can use only white flour, if desired, 3 cups)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil (original recipe called for 10tbsp butter, I like working with oil better)
3/4 cup sugar (this is cut back from 1 full cup)
1.5 cups plain yogurt
**1 tbsp baking powder
1. preheat oven to 375C, cook on middle rack
2. whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and put aside
3. in large bowl, mix oil, sugar and eggs (if using butter, you can cream sugar & butter then add eggs and beat)
4. very gently mix in 1/2 the dry ingredients into wet, until barely incorporated. Add 1/3 the yogurt, again until barely mixed, follow with 1/2 remaining dry, then 1/3 yogurt, then remaining dry, then rest of yogurt. Each time mixing as little as possible.
5. fold in whatever mixings you are adding, again gently
6. grease or line muffin tins. Fill to top of tins for large muffins, 3/4 or 1/2 for small. bake for 25-30 mins until toothpick inserted in middle of muffin comes out clean. set on wire rack and allow to cook (in tins) for 5-10mins (I find the higher the amount of fruit used the longer you need to cool them before removing them from the tins)
makes 12-16 muffins. freeze after a couple days.
happy muffin making!!