howdy chicago chowhounds. in two months i will be moving to your fair city from san francisco for law school and need some chow help.
1. i am living in streeterville, a neighborhood which seems pretty unexciting. are there decent spots to eat that won't require a platinum amex? mostly interested in asian, but all suggestions welcome.
2. i am a big fan of vietnamese food, and i have noticed "argyle" is the place to go. are there any other neighborhoods with the banh mi and pho?
3. is there decent sushi in the midwest? any place that serves a good ankimo would be a start...
4. good, cheap grocery store? the only grocery i have seen in chicago is dominick's. bay area transplants- something like berkeley bowl would be perfect. if not, how about a big asian grocery store (like 99 chain in california)?
5. anything else a newbie has to try (i've heard a lot about the polish chow).
thanks for all of your help, and i'll be seeing you!