Let me start off by saying that I've been to quite a few places in San Pedro already, but now I want to seek out the other "staples" for when friends come in town, when we want something that fits a certain category, or that is just damn good. While in San Pedro proper is great, anything within a 10 - 20 minute drive is fine.
Here's where I've been, and what I'd like to find:
Where I've been
San Pedro Brewing Company - it's our favorite "don't know where to eat, don't want to risk bad food, want a good, inexpensive, fast meal and good beer". The service is always great, and the salads, sandwiches, starters and entrees we've had (the tri tip sandwich and pulled pork sandwich especially) are faves.
Papadaikis Taverna - Very good Greek food, IMHO, though I am certainly not an expert. The ambience in terms of the owners and entertainment were great, the super bright (almost fluorescent) lights were not. Not as expensive as I expected. Entrees were about $20 - $30, if I recall correctly.
Subs R Us - way better than subway or other fast foody sandwich places. WAY. Great for fast foodish sandwiches, on fresh rolls.
Sushi Tashiro - good, but not my favorite. I'm moving from West LA, so I've been spoiled by Echigo, Sasabune, Hide, and all the various sushi joints around this area.
What I'd like to find:
- Good local Mexican food (inexpensive to moderately priced).
- Good local Sushi (where the chef is personable, and the food is not Urazawa priced!)
- Good local seafood - I hear mixed reviews about places in and around the port. What are your thoughts?
- Good local chinese/thai
- Good local brunch spots - do I suck it up and just go to Ocean Trails?
- Good place to make visitors say "how cool!" (besides the Queen Mary).
Any other places I must know about? A friend said she heard about some excellent Vietnamese place in the area...any thoughts?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the topic!!!