Chowhound Presents: Table Talk with Yotam Ottolenghi and Helen Goh of Sweet: Desserts from London's Ottolenghi | Ask Your Questions Now ›

Cookware

Microwaving Microwaves

Why did my microwave set some paper on fire?

Share:

Cookware 10

Why did my microwave set some paper on fire?

Howard-2 | Jun 30, 2002 01:17 PM

In my area garbage is collected only once a week, so sometimes it begins to stink after a few days. I sometimes deal with this problem by drying some kinds of garbage in the summer, or freezing it till pickup day.

I bought some chicken the other day, and of course the absorbent paper/plastic tissue in the container was quite moist. I squeezed out the moisture and put it in the microwave. After a while it was very dry--almost entirely dry, but not completely. So I put it back, and after about 30 seconds it burst into flame!

Can anyone tell me why this happened?

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound