Chowhound Presents: Table Talk with Yotam Ottolenghi and Helen Goh of Sweet: Desserts from London's Ottolenghi | Ask Your Questions Now ›

Home Cooking


Are "Korean short ribs" the same as "flanken-style?"


Home Cooking 12

Are "Korean short ribs" the same as "flanken-style?"

Flanksteak | Jun 21, 2010 09:12 PM

I'm wondering if someone who knows about meat can help me.

There's a Korean dish that Koreans call "LA Kalbi," the meat is short ribs cut across the bone, very thinly, like this:

Which is kind of a flanken cut, but flanken s usually a lot thicker:

I'm wondering if Koreans invented this cut? Or did they adapt it from something else? Is the flanken cut usually a thicker cut, or does it vary? I've never seen this thin cut sold anywhere but a Korean market, but some people say that mexicans sell it as well?

Thanks for any info.

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound