I've just begun making yogurt at home. I tried my first batch last night and it turned out too tart. Here's my method. Please let me know where I'm going wrong.
1. Used 2% milk
2. Used 1/3 cup powdered milk
3. Used freeze-dried starter I bought online
4. Brought milk and powdered milk to 170 degrees on the stove top
5. Then cooled the pot in a cool water bath to 110-ish
5. Added starter and mixed together
6. Incubated overnight in Salton yogurt maker.
One important question I have... does incubating longer -- like nearly 9 hours in my case -- make the yogurt more tart? Or is tartness a function of something else, like the starter? I was OK with the texture of the resulting yogurt, but I prefer a milder yogurt than I ended up with.
Thanks in advance for suggestions.
by Brianne Garrett | New year, new me. It’s a popular mantra that we all tell ourselves going into a new year—vowing that...
by Gretchen Lidicker | If you want to eat less sugar, finding no-sugar and low sugar breakfast recipes that are both easy...