We have a group of people from my office who are into food + wine who have celebrated the past two new years eves by booking private areas at the herbfarm.. once the balcony and once the separate dining room. I'm responsible for the logistics this year and am considering a different place for a change. The herbfarm provided pretty much the experience we were looking for both times, but trying something different would be fun too. Here's pretty much the parameters of what we are looking for:
- good food, varied
- A long extended dinner with lots of wine. Basically we want the dinner to be our whole night out. This is important, and the Herbfarm was good for this.
- private or semi-private dining for ~12-15 ppl.
- elegant surroundings to dress up for.
- price in the same ballpark, which was $2xx ea with food + wine.
- reasonable drive for people on the east side or in the city proper.
- nice overnight accommodation nearby for some.
I can see that a good number of good restaurants have private dining areas available. Maybe the biggest question is which places can keep us entertained food and wine-wise for ~4hrs?
I could see either a large multi-course menu like at the herbfarm, or maybe a small-plate place with a large menu. On the wine front, we'd want a really deep wine list, or alternatively could bring our own wines (probably arranging menu in advance to optimize the pairings), but a large multi course dinner with pairings certainly makes it easier.