2 PlacesExpand Map
On the way to the airport in May, I stopped at Harumama Noodles & Buns for happy hour. What a mistake!
How do I loathe thee. Let me count the ways.
1) Seaweed salad is coated with slimy, sticky, sweet dressing that doesn't quite mask the stale refrigerator taste. Ever heard of vinegar?
2) Karaage seems to be boneless chicken breast chunks coated in grease-soaked, spongey, puffed rice cracker bits. A spoonful of chopped peanuts underneath the scallions . . . why?
3) Character chicken buns are indeed cute as can be. But the bread is damp and heavy. The dried floss-like white meat chicken filling looks like cat food glued together with something sticky. Since I've never tasted cat food, I can't say if it tastes like it too, but I have my suspicions.
4) The side of chicken ramen broth (so I could have a hot beverage) was weak and unsalted. So glad I did not attempt to order ramen here. That said, this was the single edible thing of my order.
5) My bill was calculated wrong.
Other than that, the server did try her best to get me to the airport on time.
This is a prime example of an eatery that lives and dies by instagram images. The food may look nice, but it tastes terrible. This set me back $28!
1901 Columbia St
San Diego, CA 92101
Invite a friend to chime in on this discussion.Email a Friend
by Anna Hecht | It’s easy to beeline right for the peanut butter cups and frozen food at Trader Joe’s (not to mention...
by Roxanne Webber and Jen Wheeler | Salt is a transformative ingredient (if you're in any doubt of that, see Salt Fat Acid Heat), but...
by Hana Asbrink | Welcome to Chowhound's Table Talk podcast, where Executive Editor Hana Asbrink chats with some of...
by Roxanne Webber | Donald Link is one of New Orleans' best chefs, known for his down-home Cajun cuisine at Cochon and...