1. It's probably been said a million times in conjunction with Al's beef, but Mario's Italian Ice on Taylor is amazingly good. Only open during the warmer months so get your fix while you still can.
2. Manny's right off of Roosevelt on Jefferson?. Best Corned Beef sandwhich and potato pancakes you will ever set eyes on. The lack of fanciness is all made up for in character here. Can be a bit expensive but it is well worht it. Oh, they also have Green River.
3. Potbelly's. One of the best all around sandwhich shops in the city or anywhere for that matter. Toasts there subs like Quizno's but after you have a Potbelly's sub you will wonder why you ever went to Quizno's. They are scattered throughout the city and suburbs and theres one in Midway, and they are always busy but very quick nonetheless.
4. Bari's 1120 W. Grand. If you are looking for an unbelievable Italian sub that can't be beat you have to try out this deli in the back of the small grocery store. They even use fresh bread from D'Amato's bakery next door.
5. If you want real Chicago food like Da Bears guys from Saturday Night Live would eat you have try Maxwell Street Depot 411 W. 31st. One of the great things about this place is that they are open 24 hours. Great greasy food, real cheap. But don't expect a wide selection here, there are only 4 items to choose from. Pork Chop Sandwhich, Polish, Hot Dog or Hamburger. Don't forget to get an RC too.
6. Almost forgot--Vernon Park Tap on Vernon Park Pl.(1 block south of Harrison about 2 blocks east of Racine) Great small Italian restaurant. Hidden among residential buildings which gives it its cozy feel. More of a family/friends place than anything. Very good food, very well priced.