There seems to be a lot of interest in Duluth on these boards, so I'll provide a few updates:
* The Zen House - Duluth's first and only Japanese restaurant - is opening a second location downtown in the busy Holiday Center. They will be on the second floor, convenient to the Skywalk, in the space occupied by Shanghai, a Chinese restaurant. Their first location, in a former burger restaurant inside of a gas station on the western fringe of the Mall Area, will remain, but their new location should open up a whole new captive audience - the downtown lunch crowd.
* Saigon Cafe has moved from a strip mall near the Miller Hill Mall to Thai Krathong's former location on First Street downtown. Looking at their menu on the door, I see no Vietnamese dishes, only "Chinese" food. The "Taste of Saigon" in Canal Park is a similar situation, with even the waiter admitting to me that they're more of a "Pan-Asian" or "general Asian" restaurant than Vietnamese. The Vietnamese Lantern in far-off Gary seems to be more of a Vietnamese restaurant (but still serving Chinese), although at very high prices (like $11 or $13 for a bowl of pho).
* Bangkok Royale, Duluth's third Thai restaurant, is now closed. The restaurant was located in the The Village Square strip mall, in the space previously occupied by Saigon Cafe. The restaurant appeared to open some time around the turn of the year and was rather expensive for a strip mall joint, with some dishes over $20. Sala Thai (in the Kenwood neighborhood) and Thai Krathong (in Canal Park) remain.
* As reported here, Takk for Matten is now open at a site close to their original, which now seems to be blocked from road access by perennial construction. They're in the Tech Village along with Pizza Luce. At night, Takk for Matten becomes Kippis, a - get this - Finnish tapas bar.
* A new upscale lounge, "Blackwater", is open in the Greysolon Center downtown. They feature a decent selection of varied lounge food, including sushi - at $9 a roll!
* On the chain front, Texas Roadhouse is building a spot near Olive Garden on the Home Depot hill. Buffalo Wild Wings also is coming to Duluth, and there seems to be speculation that Five Guys is as well.