So I need 4 ounces of dried mushrooms (to make baked mushroom linguine from Martha, FWIW). Ive got 2 ounces of porcini, and 2 ounces of the Polish-type dried mushrooms (much cheaper). All of these mushrooms are at least two years old but have been in a dark, relatively cool place the whole time.
Anyone know if these are still okay to use? They seem to smell pretty mushroomy, but at least one mushroom looked like it had a little bit of whitish fuzz on it (though I dont know if it was always there). Can dried mushrooms go bad?
Would also appreciate input regarding flavor: the rec. calls for 4 oz. dried porcini or chanterelle. Can I get the same flavor with the less expensive, nameless dried mushrooms? (FWIW, theres also two pounds of fresh mushrooms to be added)
Thanks for any tips.
by Brianne Garrett | New year, new me. It’s a popular mantra that we all tell ourselves going into a new year—vowing that...
by Gretchen Lidicker | If you want to eat less sugar, finding no-sugar and low sugar breakfast recipes that are both easy...