I am looking to make some delicious homemade ice cream and gelato, and have decided to go for a compressor-style machine (i.e. with built-in refrigeration).
The following seem to be the main home-sized units available in the US:
- Lello 4070 Gelato Junior ~$230
- Lello 4080 Musso Lussino ~$680 (highly recommended but does it produce a superior product to these other models?)
- Lello 4090 Gelato Pro ~$350
- Cuisinart ICE-50BC Supreme (discontinued, used to be ~$300, rec'd by David Lebovitz)
- Cuisinart ICE-100 (newer version of 50--is it better?), ~$300
- Whynter IC-2L SNÖ ~$250 (recommended by Cook's Illustrated but the only other compressor model they considered was ICE-50)
- Whynter ICM-15LS ~$280 (not sure why it costs more since it looks worse than the IC-2L)
- DeLonghi GM6000 ~$300 (recommended by several Chowhounds)
- Breville Smart Scoop BCI600XL ~$380
Is there anyone out there who has tried more than one of these and can compare the quality of the ice cream / gelato they produce? Am I missing some other option?