Help, the food I cook is *really* boring
I'm lucky enough to have freelance work sent to me while travelling. I stay in hostels around Europe and South America.
I really really would like to learn to cook simple enjoyable food - here are my challenges in some detail
1. I stay in cities for a few days, so I don't have a good supply for spices, or oil, i'm happy to buy the basics and travel with them in my bag.
2. The facilities are usually quite basic, gas or electric or induction stove, often no oven.
3. Because i'm a beginner - i'm completely overwhelmed by all the recipes on the internet with their long lists of ingredients, or the requirements of using/making vegetable or meat stock etc - this seems way to complicated
Some other ideas I had
1. with your help (with the above requirements) choose 10 dishes to make over and over until I get them perfect (right now, the food I cook is really boring, I just want to master 10 dishes)
2. offer my time for free at a local restaurant, but I often don't speak the local language, so this will probably be quite frustrating for the restaurant owner.
Maybe you can suggest some recipes I can commit to mastering with the above limitations? My goal is basically to be able to memorise 10 meals that I can confidently reproduce.
(By the way, if you can suggest a place I can do volunteer work 20-30 hours per week, i'll be happy to volunteer there if it focuses on simple high quality meals)