I've just spent a good hour killing time and avoiding work while reading all the Austin posts in this section. And as far as I can. Everyone from Austin eats 90% BBQ and Tex Mex and everyone visiting Austin gets BBQ or Tex Mex crammed down their throats! I understand that this area of Texas is reknowned for both of these cuisines, but this town is also filled with all sorts of other nooks and crannies of the food world.
In no order and without any thought put into it, here are a few of the "special" places in Austin I like to haunt.
1) Korea House - their sushi might not be the best and their Korean might not be the best, but they have both and they are friendly and service is usually very good. Plus, its located in a very strange shopping plaza. I love their spicy tuna rolls.
2) Ichiban - first class sushi! Plus they have a tako salad which is boiled octopus in a sesame oil dressing which is incredible
3) Delaware Subs - I know there is always a debate about who makes the best subs, but I grew up in New England and this place comes the closest to making an Italian "Grinder" as I've seen yet in town. They may cost a little more, but I'd rather have capicola on my sub than pre-pressed ham pieces.
4) Alborz Persian - Located near Satay by Mopac and West Anderson, this has a great lunch buffet. A Persian lunch buffet looks (to the casual observer) like an indian buffet, but it has lots of great differences. First all, when I went, they had over 7 different kinds of rice dishes. Curry Rice, Cranberry Rice, etc. Awesome. Great price for buffet as well.
5) Fortune Pho 75 - I know they always fail their health inspection but I am in love with their Number 56 (Bün with Charcoal pork and eggrolls.
Oh well, just my two cents. Any comments?
Updated 5 months ago | 1
Updated 4 months ago | 1
Updated 3 months ago | 1
Updated 5 months ago | 4
Updated 4 months ago | 2