Today is my birthday so my wife took me out to dinner at Darna last night. We were looking forward to trying something new. When we got there we asked the host about a coat check. He told us there was no coat check but we can either put out coats on a rack by the front door or around our chairs. We chose the latter. 1 minute after sitting down we smelled what we thought was burning hair. Much to our surprise and shock we realized that my wifes coat had caught fire! There are candles all over the walls and some are set very low. Thank g-d we were able to put it out with no one getting hurt.
I went to speak to the manager and I explained what had happened and I told her I would like to speak to her after the meal so at least I could enjoy a nice dinner. She never came over to the table during our meal to check on us, never checked the damage to the coat, but did explain that if we wanted to have it dry clean, they would pay for it! I tried to explain that the coat was ruined and that no dry cleaning would help.
We had our dinner, the food was OK, nothing spectacular. The appetizer ribs are decent, the table next to our, who saw the fire, recomended the spicy tomato and eggplant app which we ordered as well but we found it to be so cold it was almost frozen. Of course they were out of the Lamb Tajine, so I had to order the beef which I found to be very under seasoned, both the meat and the sauce. I also had a bottle of Stella. The service was slow to start and then we felt rushed at the end.
Now, its not like we ordered so much stuff, and we were not expecting them to comp our meal, however when we recieved the bill, they had not charged us for out 2 apps and the beer, which probably was a total of $30. I brought my bill over to the manager, who I had not seen since I found here in the beginning and I explained to her that while I appreciate the free apps, I would rather pay for the whole meal if they would take responsibilty for the coat. We compromised with the entire meal being comped and we just left a tip.
I would say that all in all it was a very dissapointing night out and I probably would not go back to that restaurant. If you do go eat there, sit in the middle of the room so you dont have to worry about losing any articles of clothing.