Paging Mr. President: Stop Undermining Michele: In an open letter, Phil Vettel asks the president to lay off the burgers, since all the photos of him eating fast food are counterproductive to his wife’s campaign against childhood obesity. via Chicago Tribune’s The Stew
Gourmet Pollution: Hudson Valley Foie Gras was ordered to stop dumping waste into the Middle Mongaup River. via the Atlantic
Contract Killing Burns Calories: Former Food Network “Calorie Commando” host allegedly gave homeless people money to kill his wife, who reportedly hadn’t been able to get pregnant. via ABC News
Bribing and Imbibing: Last week, the American Beverage Association offered to donate $10 million to the government of Philadelphia if it dropped a proposal to tax sugary drinks. via the Big Money
Thread of the Week: A fistfight at the artisanal pig cookoff event Cochon 555 left organizer Brady Lowe with a broken leg and concussion. A chef allegedly attacked Lowe and his girlfriend because he was enraged that the pig had been sourced from Iowa, not Oregon. Commenters on Willamette Week’s blog were in top form:
The Rules of Chef Club:
1) First rule of Chef Club: you do not talk about pigs.
2) The second rule of Chef Club is you DO NOT talk about pigs.
3) If some yells swine flu, throws out-of-state bacon or calls your girlfriend a fat pig the fight is over.
4) Two-chefs to a fight.
5) One chef fight at a time.
6) No chef shirts, no shoes for crews. Chef hats must be worn.
7) Chef fights will go on until the police show up or Magic Garden closes.
8) If this is your first Chef fight you have to insult someone’s cooking.
A Good Read: Kim Severson creates a buzz with her story about the rise of “haute stoner cuisine” and chefs finding their inspiration in a packed bowl of weed.
Deaths, Firings, Recalls, and Other Endings:
Debuts, Openings, and Other Beginnings: