Chowhound members on the Cookware board are constantly coming up with new ideas and strategies for the home kitchen. Here are 10 great tips from 2013.
1. BUY A STOVETOP SMOKER
Ramp up the smoky flavor without even going outside with a convenient stovetop smoker.
2. USE A BURR GRINDER
Achieve an even grind without heating up your coffee beans with a burr grinder in your price range.
3. GET THE X-SHAPED GADGET YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
There are plenty of single-use gadgets begging to fill up space in your kitchen. Here's one that will earn its keep.
4. ELEGANTLY REMOVE CORN FROM THE COB
Find out how to do it using tools you already have in your kitchen—no knife skills required.
5. GET YOUR HANDS ON A FUTURISTIC THERMOMETER
Check very hot temperatures for grilling and searing from a distance with an infrared thermometer.
6. LEARN WHY SOFT CUTTING BOARDS DULL YOUR KNIVES
Find out which cutting boards will maximize the life of your knife's edge—and which will shorten it.
7. FIND OUT WHAT MAKES A GREAT KITCHEN TORCH
Get help selecting a great, affordable kitchen torch for crème brûlée and beyond.
8. BUY A KNIFE THAT'S CHEAP, SHARP, AND READY TO SLICE
Overwhelmed by knife shopping? Find a great, sharp, reasonably priced knife that will make your food prep a pleasure.
9. EXPERIMENT WITH INDIAN COOKING
Learn about the Indian cooking secret of infusing hot oil with spices (tadka)—and how you can put it to work in your own kitchen.
10. ACHIEVE CRISPY PIZZA CRUST IN A HOME OVEN
Learn tricks for getting that perfect layer of crispy crust on a pizza in your home oven.
Photo by Chris Rochelle / CHOW.com