Winter Vegetable Soup
This hearty WINTER VEGETABLE SOUP (made with beef broth) is busy with many standard and some Asian vegetables. Use fresh vegetables whenever possible. Canned only when you absolutely have to. Serve hot with fresh baked garlic bread or buscuits.
- 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 3 stalks of celery, cut into 1/2" angled slices, including leafy top.
- 1 stalk of leek, cleaned well. Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- 1 red onion, cut into quarters then 1/2 inch slices.
- 1 head of bok choy, cleaned well, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2" slices (from 2 inches above root to just above where it turns leafy).
- 5 carrots, peeled, scored well with a fork down lengthwise all around, then cut into 1/2" slices (they should look like flowers).
- 2 turnips, peeled and cubed.
- 1 1/2 quarts of vegetable or beef broth
- 1 8 -16 oz. can of petite cut tomatoes, with juice.
- 1 yellow squash, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1" slices
- 1 green zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1" slices
- 1 small can of sliced water chestnuts, drained.
- 1 can asian baby corn cut into 1" bits, drained.
- 1/2 to 1 quart of water (if needed)
- 1/2 bag of baby spinach
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, 1 tbsp beef base or 2-3 cubes of boullion (if needed for heartier taste), parsley
- 1 box of small soup pasta (i.e. ancni pepe, tubietti, starletta, orzo) cooked, drained and cooled. OPTIONAL
1While pasta cooks, prepare vegetables as noted above.
2In large soup pot (min. 2 quarts) sweat onion, celery and leeks in olive oil.
3Season vegetables as they cook with salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder. Mix well.
4Add broth and bring to boil. Boil on Medium High heat for approx. 10 minutes or until carrots and turnips are just tender.
5Add can of diced tomatoes and bring back to boil. Continue to boil for on Medium High for 10 minutes.
6Add more water if needed to cover vegetables well and bring to boil. To make taste slightly heartier, season with beef base or boullion, and add’l salt & pepper if needed.
7Add sliced squash and zucchini and cans of waterchestnuts and baby corn. . Bring to boil and cook until squash/zucchini is just tender.
8Add spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted but still bright green. Mix in parsley. Remove from heat.
9If desidred, spoon ample cooked pasta into bowl or mug. Ladle in hot soup.
10Serve with Garlic Toast or Country Style Bucuits (I used Pillsbury)
Member recipes are not tested by the Chowhound editorial team .
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved