Indian Chickpea Curry with Spinach
A laidback vegetarian stew with chickpeas, spinach, and tomato; fresh ginger and a trio of spices (coriander, paprika, and cumin) give it some delicious Indian personality. Serve with rice and, if you’re feeling a little ambitious, homemade naan.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1/3 cup water
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
1Warm the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the coriander, paprika, and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2Add the chickpeas, tomatoes with their juices, and water and stir to combine. Partially cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Season with a big pinch of salt and black pepper.
3Add the spinach and measured cilantro, stir to combine, and simmer until the spinach is wilted and tender, about 10 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt if needed. Serve on a warmed platter or individual plates, garnished with additional cilantro leaves.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved