Ham Baked in Beer
This is a method we have used for the past 10 years. The beer actually tenderizes the ham. But don’t fret; the ham will not taste like beer when it is prepared other than perhaps a little suggestion on the underneath portions. I was fairly doubtful initially, but when I found out that the ham I had at my friend’s home for Christmas the year before had beer used to make it, I tried it and have been captivated ever since
- 20 Pound Bone-In Ham
- 1 (20 oz) can chunk pineapple
- 24 oz. Blue Moon Spring Blonde Wheat Ale
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- Insert several Cloves in Ham.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease an 18 quart roasting pan
- Place the ham, with the fattier side up, in a roaster.Add Pineapple chunks. Pour the beer over the ham. Place lid on roasting pan.
- Pour the beer over the ham. Place lid on roasting pan.
- Bake 6 to 8 hours, or until cooked through. Let sit 15 minutes before slicing.
- After slicing the ham, combine about 1/2 Cup each of honey, butter, and orange juice and add about 1 tsp. cinnamon, bring to a boil, and pour over the sliced ham.
- Reheat gently.
Member recipes are not tested by the Chowhound editorial team .
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved