Chicken Larb Cabbage Cups with Sriracha, Lime, and Green Beans
Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo
An easy recipe for Thai chicken larb in cabbage cups, courtesy of LA chefs Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo for Plated. Subscribe to Plated and cook this and other “Makers” recipes from Jon and Vinny at home. With Plated, your ingredients arrive right to your door, fresh and pre-portioned.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 shallots, 1 peeled and thinly sliced, the other peeled and minced
- 12 ounces lean, ground chicken
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 lime, halved
- 2 cups mixed lettuces
- 1/4 bunch mint, leaves picked, stems discarded
- 1/6 bunch cilantro, leaves picked, stems discarded
- 4 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons toasted rice powder
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 fresh Thai chile, halved lengthwise, seeds discarded, and minced
- 6 leaves green cabbage
To fry the shallot:
1Heat 3 tablespoons of the canola oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the sliced shallot and fry until crisp, about 5 minutes. (Don’t crowd the shallot slices—they should form a single layer in the oil. Fry in batches if necessary.) Transfer the fried shallots to a paper-towel-lined plate and set aside to drain.
To cook the chicken:
1Discard the shallot-frying oil and wipe the sauté pan clean. Add the remaining tablespoon of canola oil and set the pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the chicken and season with salt and the juice from 1 of the lime halves. Cook, breaking up the chicken with a wooden spoon, until the meat loses its color, about 5 to 6 minutes.
2Transfer the chicken to a large bowl. Immediately add the mixed lettuces, mint, cilantro, green beans, diced shallot, scallions, rice powder, fish sauce, Sriracha, Thai chile, and juice from the remaining lime half. Toss to combine well, and then taste, adding more salt if needed.
1Spoon the chicken mixture into the cabbage cups and place 3 on each serving plate. Top with the fried shallots and serve.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved