Daniel Humm's Peach Gazpacho with Toasted Almonds...
Basic Tomato Sauce
Basic Tomato Gazpacho
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored and large dice
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and large dice
- 1 medium English cucumber, large dice
- 1/2 medium red onion, large dice
- 1 medium garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Croutons, for garnish (optional)
Though some gazpacho recipes add bread or almonds to the classic cold soup, this tomato gazpacho keeps it basic with just fresh vegetables and some tomato juice. Make sure to use ripe tomatoes and serve the soup chilled, for a cooling dish on a hot summer day. For a more filling feast, pair with our easy crab cake recipe.
1Place the tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, onion, and garlic in a blender and blend into a smooth purée. (If you need to get the mixture moving, add a little of the tomato juice while the blender is running.)
2Transfer to a large serving bowl, add the tomato juice, measured oil, vinegar, measured salt, and pepper to taste and stir to combine. Taste and season with additional vinegar, salt, and pepper as needed. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with croutons, if using, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Recommended from Chowhound
Back to top
Every kitchen has some rules. Mine doesn't have too many but I admit to being a stickler for a few...