Baked Macaroni and Cheese
One of my favorite flavorful comfort dishes. Located at thedabble.com
- 10 oz. orecchiette or your favorite pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp of four
- 2 cups milk
- 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 2 cups grated cheese (I would use a good quality sharp cheddar, Colby, pepper jack and/or Gruyere-it’s up to you but I would at least have 2 different kinds)
- Breadcrumb topping: 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (I toasted some rosemary bread in the oven and chopped it in my food processor)
1Preheat oven to 375.
2Cook pasta until just tender and set aside to drain.
3If you are making your own breadcrumbs, toast the bread in the oven, chop when cooled and then add the butter.
4For the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat and add flour, whisking constantly.
5Cook about 3 minutes and then stir in the milk gradually followed by spices. Simmer for 15 minutes.
6Stir in 2 cups of cheese of your choice, salt/pepper and macaroni.
7Pour into casserole dish.
8Top with more cheese if you wish but I did not.
9Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top and bake for 30 minutes until crumbs are lightly browned.
10Let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Member recipes are not tested by the Chowhound editorial team .
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved