dilemma! i have several jars of home-made home-processed green apple jelly (from christine ferber's recipe... this is what she adds to low-pectin fruit jams to help with set). i am making her pear jam today, and the recipe calls for adding green apple jelly... and suddenly i am paranoid that i can't use my stash of green apple jelly any more. help me decide!
it was properly water-bath canned for the correct amount of time when i made it two years ago. it's been mostly stored in a dark cupboard. the jar and seal did not seem at all bulgy or distorted, i needed a can opener to break the seal today, and i heard a pop as the seal came undone. the jelly looks totally clear, amber color, no visible mold or anything else. it smells fine.
but... i am worried. i do not want to make poisonous or lethal pear jam. the internet seems to say that jams should be used within a year. but then elsewhere it says that if there's no visible bulging or mold and it was correctly canned, it should be ok longer. which is correct?