I've lived in the Financial District for 5 years now, and have come to accept that there are simply 0 reasonably priced Chowhound-worthy restaurants (under $30/pp) down here for delivery. Ok, we have SHO Shaun Hergatt with a great $30 lunch prix fixe, but that's fine dining, and doesn't count as takeout. (To be honest, I think they're the only restaurant that is Chowhound worthy in the Financial District/Battery Park area). This post is dedicated to what is the best we can get for takeout in these 2 neighborhoods, with the understanding that none of the restaurants on my list is technically Chowhound-worthy. Would greatly appreciate recommendations from those who live/work down here. Where are your go-to delivery restaurants? Is there a better alternative to the places on my list? I'm not interested in hearing about great Tribeca/Chinatown restaurants unless you can confirm that they've been able to deliver within a reasonable time limit (under 35 minutes).
Here's where I order from. *** indicates restaurants that are near Chowhound worthy:
- Alfanoose*** - Good falafel, babaganoush, hummus, salad. Good value.
- Inatteso*** - Amazing fresh pasta.
- Doyer's Vietnamese - Cheap porkchop/beef over rice. Quite good grilled shrimp with thin rice noodles. Ok pho. They're in Chinatown, but delivery is extremely quick.
- Merchant's NY Cafe - Good lobster club sandwich. Most other items are overpriced.
- Sushi a la kawa - Barely edible, but the alternatives are even worse. I assume most of you will try to recommend Haru, but I find them terrible as well. Overpriced for below average sushi.
- Lili's Noodle Shop - Edible Chinese. Although I wouldn't recommend the Americanized items on the menu.
- Soma by Nature - Not bad bibimbap and soondubu for a fast-food joint.
- Sandwich House - Very good sandwiches with fresh ingredients. Great pasta (not Inatteso quality, but very good for the price).
- Little Big Place (Tribeca) - Decent shrimp tacos.
P.S. Am desperately seeking recommendations for a good:
- Pad thai - Cannot stomach the ones from Bennie's/Lemongrass Grill/Bunrasa/Lili's/Doyer's. I'm currently making my own because the alternatives are very very sad.
- Banh Mi - Currently trekking to Chinatown to Paris Sandwich, or walking up to Mangez Avec Moi Express in Tribeca (they don't do delivery). Baoguette doesn't quite do it because their hours are super limited, closing at 5pm.
- Bubble tea - Ho Yip has ok ones come summer time, but would love to know if there's something even better. (The ones from Lili's are inconsistent, and the ones from Doyer's are too sweet).
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!