Anyone have suggestions for super-cheap food in the Los Feliz? I'm trying to make a list of low-key yet delicious cuisine, ideal for the impoverished grad student who wants to get up from the books for a few minutes and walk over to a place where they serve you from behind a counter.
I have my regular options, each of which I would praise to the skies, but, you know, variety's nice.
Los Feliz, I find, is great for hipster scene-making, but rather more of a challenge when you want to spend less than $8 on food, and less than $5 if possible.
Anyway, the initial list:
1) Burrito w/carne asada from Casa Diaz, on Hollywood Blvd. east of Vermont [after 9:30pm: same thing from El Gran Burrito, Vermont @ Santa Monica] Casa Diaz is truly amazing. Little place with super-friendly family staff, starting with Sen~or Jose Diaz himself. I took my visiting foodie there and to El Tepeyac in E. L.A., and there was no comparison.
2) Massaman curry from Pattaya Thai, on Vermont north of Prospect
3) Chicken shwerma from Zankou Chicken, Sunset at Normandie
4) Turkey breast sandwich on foccaccia at the Coffee Table, on Rowena east of Hyperion
5) Roasted chicken breast sandwich on jalapeno bread from Subway, Franklin at Hillhurst
Hon.Ment.) The sandwiches at Say Cheese are amazing, but too expensive for what I'm talking about; likewise, the entrees at The Kitchen.