I came to Wok & Barrel seeking good nasi lemak. Whilst the version here was above average (by Singapore standards), it didn't hold a candle to the ones I tried in Kuala Lumpur in the past year, like Madam Kwan's or Sakura (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/799101), Village Park (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/847764) or Nasi Lemak Antarabangsa (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/780271).
Anyway, we opted for nasi lemak and dishes (ordered a la carte for sharing) today at Wok & Barrel:
- the Nasi lemak, topped with crispy ikan bilis, was drier than I'd have liked, but had a faint coconut milk flavor and scent;
- Five-spice braised pork - meltingly soft but not as fragrant as I'd expected;
- Chicken curry - tasty, aromatic, but the single portion was too small - a mere drumstick;
- Otak-otak was pretty tasty;
- Brinjal (aubergines) with sambal - agaiun, lacked the chilli "oomph" factor;
- Egg omelette and achar - the omelette was very dry (like those we get in hawker centres, too, come to think of it) but the achar was pretty tasty.
- Chilli soft shell crab - which was highly recommended but seemed underseasoned and underspiced to me.
The other dishes on the menu we ordered inlcuded:
- 5-spice braised pork with pasta
- Beef rendang pizza
Both dishes were fusion Singapore-Italian attempts which fell short in the taste department.
Complimentary vanilla ice-cream topped with banana jam was interesting.
Wok & Barrel
13 Duxton Hill
Tel: +65 6220 0595