I made a modified version of the Chez Panisse Vegetables roasted pumpkin soup recipe yesterday, but it tastes really bland. Here's what's I did:
- roasted 1 sugar pie pumpkin
- meanwhile, sauteed 1/2 an onion, a handful of carrots, four garlic cloves, and thyme in oil until they were soft.
- scooped out the pumpkin and put it in the pot with a quart of chicken stock, brought to a simmer.
- added salt, pepper, about 1/2 tablespoon of butter, and more thyme.
- pureed the whole thing
It's still really bland. The original recipe didn't call for the carrots and onion, but I thought it would be too boring. And it is. Here are some thoughts I have for fixing it:
- add some sauteed onions, garlic, and some ginger
- add cream
- add something acidic -- orange juice?