Guided only by other travel websites we spent a week in Philadelphia, MS on family business and found plenty of hits and only a few misses.
UNION, MS - S and A Restaurant in downtown Union - a hit, a classic southern buffet with fried chicken, ribs, baked chicken, greens, vegetables, breads, sweet tea and pie all for $7 and all delicious. We plan a second visit on our way back to the Jackson airport. Having had the more famous version of this same buffet at the Country Store in Port Gibson, south of Vicksburg, we like this one even better.
1. City Limits - WalMart shopping center - shrimp and grits - sweet tea - with coconut cake -all delicious
2. Yates Pharmacy - Courthouse Square - club sandwich and sweet tea - delicious and quaint, historic setting
3. Stribling Pharmacy - Beacon Street - black walnut ice cream cone (a single looks like a double) for 90 cents
4. Williams Bros - Market and Merchandise - Williamsville - wonderful old store with everything, including excellent service - get southern sauces, ingredients and full ham to hang in your cellar
5. Golden Moon Choctaw Casino Highway 16 west - Mr M's - only had dessert but it was pretty spectacular - over the top - "Gateau Riche" - but the menu gets high marks for classic continental offerings and steaks in a lovely, more formal setting
6. Japanese Express - Walmart shopping center - fast food setting and service but very nicely prepared Japanese items - sushi and gyoza - Hurricane Roll was luscious and the gyoza dipping sauce was fresh and paired perfectly.
1. WaffleHouse (chain) meh
2. Neshoba Pancake House - okay but not great, soupy grits
3. Atomic Dog - okay for a hot dog but nothing special