Just had some of *the* best Nyonya food I'd had in the past 2 decades! Nancy's Kitchen in the Baba-Nyonya heartland Jonkers Street/Heeren Street area was not known to be the best restaurant serving Peranakan cuisine, but was the most convenient spot for us to lunch where we were today at the time.
What we had:
- Nyonya popiah (spring rolls) - delicious here though the raw garlic gave the vegetable filling a real kick;
- Nyonya Kueh pie-tie - loved the crisp pastry shells.
- Bakwan Kepiting - the pork-and-crabmeat-balls soup knocked any version I'd had in Singapore. The Malaccan version had a savory broth and perfectly textured meatballs;
- Babi Buah Keluak - this spicy pork-rib stew was absolutely divine, and the "buah keluak" nuts were perfectly cooked - better than anything I'd tried in Singapore's Nyonya restaurants!
- Kerabu Jantung Pisang - banana blossom salad - a must-not miss here. It's subtly spiced and enriched with fresh coconut creme, and was unbelievably tasty. Best dish in today's lunch spread!
- Chinchalok omelette - this version of egg omelette with fermented shrimp packed an oomph which lesser versions in Singapore's Peranakan restaurants seemed to promise but could never deliver. Here. Nancy's Kitchen certainly did *not* hold back on the strongly-flavored chinchalok.
- Nyonya otak-otak - about the same standard as the ones served by Singapore's top Peranakan restaurant, Guan Hoe Soon.
7 Jalan Hang Lekir (3rd Cross Street)
off Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock
Tel: +606 283 6099