Currently in Kyoto and trying to get around on a budget of ~$40 per day for food.
I've been really frustrated with the previous posts on Chowhound so far, mostly because:
- little separation in threads between tokyo, kyoto restaurants
- little mention of price
- little mention of how hard it is to get in
- little mention of hours, English friendly, has lower prices for lunch etc.
Most of this is compounded by the fact that Kyoto restaurants, if they have websites, are generally in Japanese. But in general, it seems bad that a site focused on places to eat provides no tools for organizing/linking to those places, and making it easy to provide metadata about them.
That said I've found a few places, on Tabelog top 100 and by scouring listings and thought I'd post here.
I'd like to know:
- What should I actually order at each these places?
- What is missing from the list? Criteria is under Y4000 for food and a drink, and that you should be able to get in there
- Which of these places should I not go to?
Ok here's the list, I've tried my best to include location/hours info, if I haven't provided it it's because it's found easily.
- SPOON, near Kyoto station, open 6pm-12:30pm, kyoto-spoon.com, easily findable on Google maps, can walk in and get a seat.
- Bamboo (Location: http://travel.stackexchange.com/quest...), hours completely unknown, Y3500 for omakase so I'm assuming lower for actual dishes, TA reviews here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant...
- Izuju - Sushi, hours unknown but they serve lunch, best items listed here, http://kyotofoodie.com/izuju-best-kyo..., Gion district across from Yasaka Shrine
- Kanei, order zaru soba or kake soba, location etc here http://www.lonelyplanet.com/japan/kan...,
- Yamamoto menzo, details at the bottom here http://letstalkfoodandetc.blogspot.co...
- Dining Harimaya, does kaiseki for a reasonable price if you go for lunch. http://r.gnavi.co.jp/k832000/lang/en/
- Nishiki market - which stalls etc?
- Takashimaya mall - same as above.
- Finally two places I found on Tabelog that didn't seem to be mentioned anywhere else, and were hard to find more details about:
- Kumano Kimura skewers, http://tabelog.com/kyoto/A2603/A26030...
- "Talking to the wall" (this can't be the right translation), http://tabelog.com/kyoto/A2602/A26020...
I appreciate your help/feedback,