MSP Chowhounder here. The hubster and I will be visiting your fair land at the end of May for a double birthday celebration and to satisfy my puffin obsession. :) We are foodies and are looking for some great suggestions. As you can imagine, fresh seafood is not in abundance in land-locked MN, so we're looking to get our fill of that while we're in Maine. And while we love fine dining, we love hole-in-the-wall places just as much. We'll be spending 2 nights in Kennebunkport, 2 nights in Portland and 2 nights in Bar Harbor. For at least one of the Bar Harbor evenings we'll be partaking in a lobster bake at Thurston's Lobster Pound but the rest of our meals are wide open. I was thinking about getting a reservation at Arrows while we're in Kennebunkport, but a quick perusal of the boards here makes it seem like it's not worth the time or money. Is this a valid assessment? We don't mind getting a little gussied up, but pretention is not our thing at all. Primarily I'm looking for the following in the aforementioned cities:
- great breakfast/brunch options
- seafood, seafood, seafood - everything from clam shacks/lobster roll places to fine dining
- at least 1 really good fine dining restaurant, perhaps with a seafood tasting menu, that doesn't require a jacket for the hubster (dress slacks/button down is fine)
- restaurants with lovely views, but good food is a must.
- if we want to ship live lobsters back to family in the Midwest, who would you recommend?
Can't wait to hear all your recommendations. We're so excited for this trip!
Updated 9 months ago | 8
Updated 1 year ago | 3
Updated 9 months ago | 33
Updated 5 months ago | 1
Updated 1 year ago | 6