Last night, we got hungry for Japanese, so I did a quick search online and was surprised to see a fourth Honda-ya location (Tustin, downtown LA, FV) in the City of Industry, closer to those of us who reside in north OC. Apparently, they opened last week.
The space is much larger than the Tustin location with parking that was more full than the restaurant. We walked in and were seated right away. What I noticed right away was that each seat/table had hooks for coats/purses; I *LOVE* that! Each table had menus in both English and Japanese and like the other locations, had friendly, quick bilingual staff.
On to the good stuff, we had
- yamakake maguro (grated mountain potato with tuna sashimi) -- I LOVED this, as I LOVE yama imo and maguro
- ika natto (squid with natto) -- the natto was okay, I'm not likely to order again; I thought it should be served ready to eat, but you have to stir the dish and add soy sauce (I came to eat, not to work)
- beef tataki (raw beef) -- if you like steak raw, you'll like this dish, though I found it to be more chewy than I like (perhaps it was sliced a touch too thick?)
- crunch roll for Mr OCAnn -- he loved this, I would have liked it more without the thick sauce on top
- yakitori: meatballs -- three to a skewer; these were good and a staple for Mr OCAnn
- yakitori: spicy wings -- these were not too spicy, maybe even on the sweet side, but had a slighty crunchy skin which I love on wings
- yakitori: thighs -- these were really good, with a nice smokey aroma and flavour
we probably had a couple more dishes, but I can't remember (as is always the case when we dine sans notepad). I'm attaching some blurry pics, but once I start eating, taking pics becomes a chore as I tend to focus on food. Maybe with more practice, it'll be more second nature. Dinner for 2 with the above + beer, tax and tip = $65.
So for those of us who live in north OC or very south LA, Industry now has a Japanese fix with Honda-ya!
17200 Railroad St
City of Industry, CA 91748