Home Cooking

Pork Charcuterie

Grigson, Charcuterie and Pork Terminology - Help!


Home Cooking 6

Grigson, Charcuterie and Pork Terminology - Help!

curiousbaker | Mar 3, 2006 05:48 PM

I ordered some pork from my favorite pig farmer a few weeks ago - a couple shoulder, boston butt, some ground and some chops. Gold bless him, he brought along some trotters and hocks and fat back for free. I've still got some pork belly from my last purchase and lots of fat back. So I decided it was time to turn my hand to some terrines and pates.

I bought Jane Grigson's Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery. It looks great, but I'm having a little trouble with the terminology. When she refers to "bacon," does she mean American-style bacon, Canadian-style bacon, or just slices of pork belly? The recipes refer to "flair (leaf, body, flead) fat" as well as "back fat" and sometimes just "pork fat" (usually when lining the mold). I think all of my packages of fat are labelled "fat back." Does that mean I have to hunt down a source for the other fat, do I need to trim some fat from my roasts, or can I do something to use the fat I've got? I've never made this sort of thing before, only some simple chicken liver mousses and such. Any suggestions or assistance would be helpful - including recommended recipes from anyone who has this book!


Link: http://seasonalcook.blogspot.com

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound