Canned tuna and bulgur are used to make the classic stuffed aubergine dish lighter and healthier.
Servings: 4 Total time: 45 min Prep time: 15 min Cook time: 30 min
1400 g of eggplants (4 small eggplants)
4 tbs olive oil, (1 + 1 + 2)
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
200 g green bell pepper (2 small peppers), cut into strips
260 g canned tuna chunks, drained
1/3 cup bulgur, cooked in 250 ml of water
Fresh thyme leaves
Fresh basil, chopped
1 ½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
Grated rind of ½ lemon
8 tbs Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Slice each eggplant in half lengthwise. With a spoon remove the flesh from the center of the eggplant halves, leaving a ¼ inch rim around each. 100 g of the scooped out flesh chop in a food processor. Set aside.
2. Grease the scooped out aubergine halves inside and outside with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt. Place them on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 200 ° C. Remove from the oven, set aside.
3. Sauté onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add the chopped eggplant flesh and continue to sauté for 5 minutes until the eggplant pieces are soft. If necessary, add a little water.
4. Add sliced green peppers, sauté for 5 minutes until tender.
5. Add tuna chunks and cooked bulgur. Break down larger tuna chunks, stir the mixture to combine. Add thyme and basil leaves, sea salt, pepper and lemon zest, mix to combine.
6. Stuff evenly the scooped out eggplant halves with the tuna and bulgur mixture. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and the remaining olive oil. Bake in the oven at 200°C for about 10 minutes until cheese becomes golden-brown.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Calories 371; Fat 17.72 g; Cholesterol 28 mg; Sodium 1256 mg; Potassium 997 mg; Carbs 31.27 g; Protein 25.66 g