Welcome to our 2nd CAWC thread!! I’m delighted and excited about the level of interest in this thread. In only 2 weeks we hit almost 300 posts and collectively reviewed 22 cookbooks!! Some were deemed to be keepers, some we need to delve deeper into and others were destined for a new home.
For folks new to this thread, welcome, we hope you’ll join in. Here’s how it works:
GOAL FOR THREAD: Get to know our cookbooks better. Keep the good ones, toss a few duds along the way.
HOW IT WORKS:
• Pull a book off the shelf (each week in my case and I figured if I posted a thread and put my commitment out there, I would be more likely to stick to it). I think folks should just pull a book
whenever they have time. I didn’t expect anyone to stick to my schedule. On the contrary, I think this will work best if people commit to whatever schedule works for them.
• Any cookbook will do. Old, new, big, small….whatever book you want. In fact the greater the variety of books reviewed, the more we’ll learn. We can all review different books, it doesn’t matter.
• Have a look in the book and record your impressions/review. What do you like about the book, what don’t you like. Have you made anything? If so, what was it and did it work. If you’ve tabbed recipes to make later, what are they? Will you keep the book now you know it better?
• Post review here. ***Please start your post with title of your book in BLOCK CAPITAL LETTERS***
• If you make a dish at a later date, come back and post your review beneath your original post. Review the dish as you see fit. Some folks will have lots to say, others won’t. This isn’t at COTM so it doesn’t have to be detailed but if someone wanted to do that, great.
• If others have the book and/or have cooked from it they can add their reviews beneath the first post about that book.
• Before posting about a book do a search of the thread (“Ctl F” w a pc, “Command F” on a mac) to see if someone else has posted about it. If so, add your post beneath theirs. If not, hit “Reply to original post” and post to the OP.
I’ll start a new thread each time we hit approx 300 posts
That shouldn’t stop us from continuing to add to the previous threads if we have something to add to book reviews that were started there. I’ll provide a list of all the books reviewed in prior threads and links in each OP so we won’t lose track.
Threads will be numbered for ease of reference.
If you’re reviewing a book not previously covered, please create a new post and start with the book’s title in BLOCK CAPITAL LETTERS as it makes for easier searching.
Thanks once again for joining me and happy reviewing!
BOOKS IN THREAD 1:
If you chose one of these books, please add to existing reviews here:
COOK’S COUNTRY COOKBOOK,
MASTERING THE ART OF FRENCH COOKING – VOLUME 1,
THE BOSTON GLOBE COOKBOOK,
WILLIAMS SONOMA EAT WELL,
THE FRANTIC WOMAN'S GUIDE TO FEEDING FAMILY AND FRIENDS,
THE GREYSTON BAKERY COOKBOOK,
MRS CHIANGS SZECHUAN COOKBOOK,
THE MITSITAM CAFE COOKBOOK,
THE PAPRIKAS WEISS HUNGARIAN COOKBOOK,
A TWIST OF THE WRIST,
I LOVE MEATBALLS,
DONNA HAY'S MODERN CLASSICS BOOK 2,
GOURMET BY THE BAY,
THE LAURA SECORD CANADIAN COOKBOOK,
THE FEED ZONE COOKBOOK,
660 CURRIES (this book will be the Oct 2012 COTM),
SO EASY: LUSCIOUS, HEALTHY RECIPES FOR EVERY MEAL OF THE WEEK,
MY FAMILY TABLE,
Also, Mr. Bigglesworth shared a link to his thread where he undertook a similar challenge and shared book and recipe notes:
….and finally, for those of you who are thinking…this OP is too long, I totally agree!! Next time I’ll link to this thread for info on “HOW IT WORKS” and will just list books reviewed to date in the OP.