Hello everyone, we had a great time in Beaune! Thank you very much for all your help! Here are some notes on the places that we visited.
1. MA Cuisine - We went here for dinner. I had the foie gras and the veal chop. The foie gras was good but the veal was great! I was a little apprehensive while ordering it because it sounded a little boring but this was an excellent dish. The veal came with a side of potatoes with some epoisses which was a winner as well. I would recommend getting this. My friend got the beef bourgogne. That was good as well but if I had to pick one, I'd go with the veal :)
2. Le Montrachet - We went here for lunch. I remember trying the escargot which was very good, probably one of the best I had on my trip. Both of us had lamb for our main course. This was good as well but I preferred some lamb dishes that I had in Paris a little more. The ambiance was very good. Nice, pretty room, good view, a nice experience overall.
3. P'tit Paradis - I remember trying the beef carpaccio and the steak with epoisses butter. The carpaccio was OK but the steak with the butter was very good. After the veal at MA cuisine the previous night, this was probably one of my favorite dishes in Beaune. My friend tried the lamb meatballs and he liked that dish a lot.
4. Le Carnot - This wasn't on our list but we ended up going here for lunch after we arrived from Paris. I tried the escargot and beef bourguignon and my friend tried the Oeufs en meurette. I actually think I liked the beef bourguignon here a little bit more than MA Cuisine. The version here was a little more hearty, a little more rustic and little less delicate than the one at MA Cusine. The escargot was good but the one at Le Montrachet was better. The Oeufs en meurette was good as well.
Since I hadn't researched this place, I'm just curious. What is the general opinion on this? Good, bad, average?
1. Fromagerie Hess - I tried the Petit Gaugry and one more cheese that I do not remember. Cool place. I wish I had more time to try a few more cheese here.
1. La Dilettante - Nice bar away from the hustle bustle of the square. We went here pretty early so it was empty but this used to get packed later during the day. Had some good wines by the glass and their cheese plate.
2. Bar du Square - This was probably my favorite bar in Beaune. Nice selections by the glass, a small outdoor seating area and a very casual vibe. I would go back here.
3. Part des Anges - I tried a couple of wines here. They are good as well. The bartender was pretty loud and enthusiastic :)
1. Jadot - It was just me and my friend for the tour. Pretty god but seemed a little more mechanical with a 'let's get it done with' attitude as compared to Drouhin. We tried about 8-10 wines. I guess it is to be expected but all of them were very young and needed some more time.
2. Drouhin - This was fun. There were 3 people in our group. The old press, the ancient caves, they were all pretty cool to see. Our guide was very good as well. We tasted 6 wines at the end (incl. the famous clos de mouches). I personally liked this a lot more then the Jadot tour.
3. Bourgogne Évasion (Bike tour) - We were with 2 more people. Unfortunately, it rained for the most part so it wasn't as fun an experience as it would have been if the weather had been a little more kind to us. I don't think the wines that we tasted were anything special but this is just a fun thing to to, riding along villages, stopping here and there while your guide explains things. I would recommend this as long as you are not looking for a very serious tasting.
We went to a few but unfortunately, I don't remember the names.
1. There is one on the street that leads to the TGV station (it's about half a block away). We tried a few things there - a baguette (the nice women working there gave us a warm one from inside), a croissant and one more thing that I don't remember. Nothing was mind blowing but everything was good.